On Now
Coming Up
  • Sat., Apr. 19, 2014 2:00PM - 5:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - Lakeview Church Party in the Park

Colts In Motion is a 42-foot-long travelling museum full of interactive Colts history and memorabilia. It is free of charge and sure to take your event to the next level. There is no better way to show your Colts pride than to feature Colts In Motion at your next event.

• Tue., Apr. 22, 2014 5:00PM - 7:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - Family Resource Night Extravaganza

• Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 11:00AM - 12:30PM EDT Colts In Motion - Plainfield Elementary Schools Walkathon

• Sat., Apr. 26, 2014 10:00AM EDT Colts In Motion - Indy Mutt Strut

• Sun., Apr. 27, 2014 10:00AM - 5:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - WTHR Health & Fitness Expo

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 6:00PM - 9:00PM EDT Official Draft Party On Friday, May 9, fans can attend the team’s Official Drafty Day Party, sponsored in part by Bud Light and 1070 The Fan, to catch coverage of the draft at Colts Grille from 6-9 p.m.
  • Fri., Jun. 13, 2014 6:00PM - 9:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - Cool Creek Concert Series

• Mon., Jun. 16, 2014 6:00PM - 8:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - Indiana FFA Convention Chapter Fun Night

• Fri., Jun. 20, 2014 9:00AM - 11:00AM EDT Colts In Motion - Touch A Truck

• Sat., Jun. 28, 2014 5:00PM - 7:00PM EDT Colts In Motion - Indiana Legend Carl Storie with special guest Brett Wiscons Concert

The Indianapolis Colts Release Jim Caldwell

Posted by coltsindianapolis on January 17, 2012 – 2:23 pm

The Indianapolis Colts have released Jim Caldwell of his duties as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

4 PM EST press conference details

The conference will be streamed live here

91 Responses to “The Indianapolis Colts Release Jim Caldwell”

1. By missy on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Wow wonder what else they are gonna do

2. By Steve Wills on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Did this actually happen? Fox and ESPN have said that the Colts are keeping Jim Caldwell. Methinks that this is a staff person’s wishful thinking.

3. By zimmy49 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

are you kidding me right lol he has one bad year and hes gone.. hire tony back

4. By G Wells on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry to learn of Coach Caldwell’s release. Guess we should have known it would happen. Thanks for your time there Jim and good luck wherever you go.

5. By Josette on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Wow. Just wow. Sorry, I’m speechless. Lots of emotions here.

6. By Maureen on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

yes it happened the Colts reported it first and reported it correctly

7. By Joey Hopalong on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Irsay Tweeted to come here

8. By Donna on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

This is a good thing. Time for a change!!

9. By tim eisenhut on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

True. Irsay tweeted as such to look for it. ESPN not yet up to date since just happened and jumped on rumors that he may be retained.

Go Colts 2012

10. By garrett on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I have actually been waiting on this to happen. I never thought he was a good coach and the whole time he has been there its felt like he was an interim head coach.

11. By ethan on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Maybe do something with that Manning guy?

12. By Joe on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Their slowly sinking the ship.

13. By john m on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

for real!! espn saying he is being retained… how does the colts website say hes being released… kind of important no?? nevermind, now espn saying he is fired. haha. craziness.

14. By Spicer on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Sad to see anyone go… It’s time to rebuild! Go Colts!

15. By Douglas on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Tony says he doesn’t want to come back though

16. By scot on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

wow, it is about time that this clown is let go. i will never forgive him fo ruining our perfect season

17. By Jacob on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I would be surprised if the name Jim Tressel isn’t at least being floated around

18. By Boobles on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Tony Dunge….

19. By Dennis on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Bout time. He took what Dungy built up and ruined it. The D couldnt stop anybody this year and they werent that good last year. Peyton had to outscore opponents.

But to say they couldnt win because Peyton was hurt is total crap. The D couldnt stop people in the first half and that has nothing to do with Manning on the field.

20. By John Thompson on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

If Manning is not able to comeback hire him

21. By Scriptjd on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to hear this, I can not believe here he has 1 bad season and you let him go. sounds like Irsay is looking for an excuse to completely clean house.

22. By Steve on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Looks like it’s time for Tressel ball

23. By A Diaz on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I like the move, caldwell never seemed to know what he was doing. Hopefullly we can get Steve Spagnoulo as a defensive coordinator, we need a big change on defense and think he can make us more aggressive

24. By irissa on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

wow. Thats a little surprising… I dont understand as to why they would let him go. Yes the colts had a bad year and all but you camt blame it all on jim. Part of it has to do with the whole team not working to thier best of thier abilitites because payton was hurt…. But this might be a good thing thing since the team needs to start over with new people even though i dont want a replacement for manning.

25. By Andrew on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Upon hearing the news, Caldwell just stood there, unblinking. Oh, wait. That’s the look he always has on his face

26. By Joshua Walker on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I figured that this was coming and he was great behind Dungy but not so great as a head coah. The Colts have slowly been regressing since he took the head coaching spot. But I did like the character he and Dungy brought to the team and hope they replace him with someone who has as much.

27. By Thom on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I’d like to remind them that he coached an almost undefeated team a few years ago and got us to our second Super Bowl. If anyone should be blamed its Curtis painter. Yes coach Caldwell had a terrible season but don’t scape goat him.

28. By Dave on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

About time! He was given a super bowl team and look what has happened since then. Steady down hill. He is a nice guy but no head coach. Now I feel the Irsay is serious about this being a championship team again.

29. By Moe on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

He seemed pretty lame-duck. Time to start fresh. Dump Manning, draft Luck, go after Gruden!

30. By Clark on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Thank GOD!!!! He was the worst game manager in the game. The Colts have cleaned house. Now it’s time to rebuild properly.

31. By houseman on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I know Tony don’t want to come back but I would not want him. He cost the Colts at least 1 superbowl with stupid decision he made.

Wouldn’t Cower be a good catch… You know Peyton will be back… Colts are keeping alot disclosed and rumors are flying.. Luck will be ready to take the ship after being mentor for 3 yrs. Can you say Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers

32. By Trent on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take that job. Look me up. 100,000 a year is all i want.

33. By Corey D Roberts on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

The colts would be wise to trade manning like the cowboys traded hershel in 88 for a mountain of picks.

34. By John on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Manning has time and again proven he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. How many games have we watched where he effortlessly drove down the field at the end of the game to win it. Draft Luck, keep Manning on the field for friendly transition. If Manning is healthy, I’d put him on the field any day.

35. By jorge de Zamakona on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

The only surprise is: why did it take this long? He should have been gone after the 10th consecutive loss.

36. By Bantman21 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Here comes Tressel…he is already on the payroll…

37. By Danny on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Houseman. And if Luck wont do it, then get Griffin to do it. A couple years learning from Peyton will help out anybody and mold one of those two great QBs into professional championship material.
    Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, only a couple of examples of learning from a legend to make yourself one of the greatest.

38. By Nate on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

The 1 and only reason Caldwell reached the Super Bowl was because he was working with a team built by Dungy and Bill Polian. Yes…he was a great guy, but he did nothing but make coaching errors while holding the reins. Great decision by new management. Now, go get Cower to give up his analyst job and win us another championship!

39. By Gary Coleman on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

40. By Bantman21 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Manning will be gone….I am sure he doesnt want to stay here to rebuild…He needs a built team now….I hope he doesnt, but why would he stay?

41. By capers8 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Wow I heard a lot of talk about him staying. This is news. http://www.thepowerwire.com

42. By Christopher Johnson on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

About Time! A man with no fire! Change from the top all the way down. Mr. Irsay, you got it right!

43. By Dave on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I was hoping this wouldn’t happen but then again I’m not totally surprised either. I will miss Jim’s coolness on the field and am a little afraid of what/who will replace him.

Hold on to your seats kids, this could get a little bumpy!

44. By randy on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

jim tressle anyone? or manning? ;)

45. By Kayla on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

This is a great move. Im so glad he is gone. During games all you would see him do is stand there with that dumb look on his face. They have been going downhill since tony dungy left. I say they should keep manning draft luck and get better defensive players. They have had a crappy defense for far too long. You got freeney and mathis thats about it. Probably should get a new runningback too. Thats just my opinion though.

46. By Debie on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

This is the one line announcement on the Colts website. Also announced on the Indianapolis news website. There is a press conference scheduled for 4 pm Indianapolis time for the official announcement.

47. By Zak on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I love Jim Caldwell and I wish him the best of luck, but personally we did the right thing because we shouldn’t of lost as many games as we did.

48. By Zak on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Kayla
    I think it’s time to say that we have probably saw Manning’s last pass in NFL… I mean honestly 3 neck surgeries stem-cell done on his neck too, also if he gets hit wrong or in the right spot he can be paralyzed … trust me I want him back as bad as anyone else and i hope he does come back so luck and sit, watch and learn from one of greats… if he does come bak though I give him 2-4 years before hes done

49. By John Lonsford on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Does it really make that big of a difference? After Peyton got injured he was exposed as a silent figure head anyhow.

50. By JJ on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

This marks official end of the Payton Manning era in Indy…

51. By Jeremy on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Well why are you blaming Jim for this Mr. Irsay? Your team was built around Peyton Manning!! It is not Jim’s fault this team was built even before caldwell was the coach. Whats next getting rid of Peyton Manning? We have one bad season and yout not making any money so lets clean house!!

52. By Zak on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Yes our team was built around him, but yet there is no way we should of lost as many games as we did

53. By Drew on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

YESSSS! Thank God!

54. By Zak on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I only hope they DONT pick the offense coordinator from the Eagles or pick someone from Detroit

55. By Sheri on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I am appalled at the firing of Coach Caldwell. Every team at some point will have a bad year. You have to at least give the coach a chance to turn it around during the off season. This is a decision I TOTALLY disagree with.

56. By Andy on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

For all you who are surprised or upset about this are crazy…this should be celebrated!

57. By Kayla on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Zak,

I understand there is a great possibility that Peyton may not be able to come back. I still hope that he can though. I don’t want his career to end that way and I want him to get another super bowl. If he can come back I’m just not sure Luck will want to sit and learn from him, so maybe they should get Griffin in that case. Either way it can’t be worse then this season. I wonder who’s idea it was to bring in Kerry Collins. I thought that was a horrible decision they made there. Then someone blamed the season on Curtis Painter, we all knew he wasnt that good. There are many reasons for the bad season. Im just ready for the next one and hope were back to kicking ass and takin names!

58. By Kayla on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

People I think should be the coach or considered, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden would be sweet but think he has a monday night football deal. Mike Zimmer from Cincy maybe would be nice. They had a great year defensively.

59. By Zak on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Kayla
    I totally agree with you it would be so crappy if that was Peyton’s last year. I kind of disagree with you about Luck not wanting to wait I mean he was taught by a great coach Jim Harbaugh who teaches patience. If anything I hope he takes it has a opportunity to learn and understand the game on a whole different level. Personally I thought we should of started Orlovsky he played way better in the pre-season then Painter did all season. I think we need a defensive head coach or at least a coach with a defensive background. If we got Mike Zimmer that would be freaking insane

60. By Kayla on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Zak i hope that luck would want to sit and learn. Its just from everything i have heard he wont want to. I totally agree that we need a defensive minded coach. I know zimmer interviewed with miami hopefully we interview him too.

61. By Michael on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Time to let Peyton coach the rookie Luck and go out on top…anyone else see this coming?

62. By Lillian Loggans on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

MOE and others: Boy when Manning was giving his all for the COLTS, I am sure you were there wanting more of what only he could do. Now, he is having health problems and you and others want to quickly say “ditch him”. Either you are a nobody that is a user of people or you are just a real selfish individual to “I only want what I want and to heck with who has to get it for me and regardless of the price someone else may pay”. You and others should be thankful for the fine young man that made football for Indianapolis and all America enjoyable and wish and pray for his health so more good years can come.

63. By Don on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I figured Caldwell would get the axe after the season the Colts had.
    I think Gruden or Cowher would be a good choice as coach, but I think that is wishful thinking.
    I think that the colts should keep Manning to mentor Luck if he is healthy to play, if he isn’t I would like to see
    the Colts bring him back as the head coach or the offenssive coach.

64. By Cindy on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Would somebody please make Tony Dungy an offer he can’t refuse? I’d love to see him back in charge!

65. By You hew on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Y coach

66. By jefferson on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

It’s about damn time! He blew the super bowl that he was on the sidelines for instead of coaching on the sidelines.My personal opinon,should have hired FISHER when he was available long time ago.Might as well let 18 play and then coach,after he hangs those cleats up!!!

67. By Hobie on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY

68. By Zak on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Kayla
    you cant go by what everyone is saying. You have to go by what his coaches taught him. I really do hope we get him though he would contribute alot of talent and give Indy and extra edge… However Im not say throw Manning under the bus. He gave the colts a name and put us on the map of great teams in football, but it comes to the point where it isnt so much about letting Manning play its about is he HEALTHY enough to play.

69. By Zak on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

And also for everyone saying we shouldnt of let him Jim Caldwell go.. his record after three years was 28-24. Not trying to be mean but the team he took to the super bowl wasnt his team it was the team TONY made from the year before… Caldwell is a amazing guy one of kind but we need a coach that is goin to put us in the best situation to win

70. By dmoney on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

This should have happened a long time ago. I wasn’t happy when he took over for tony. Caldwell only inherited a good team, he had no coaching ability and seeing that the team has gotten worse under his watch it was a good move. The team needs to make a big name hire for a defensive coach and look to the future. Sorry people but our times of Manning being the team are over, get something for him while we still can and help Luck out more when he gets to Indy.

71. By Kayla on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Zak

I really hope we get Luck too. I hope your right about him and what he was taught. I honestly don’t follow college football too much just when it gets close to draft time so you probably know more about that then me. As far as throwing Manning under the bus, I don’t think I have really read anything where anyone has done that. I think all fans would love to see him come back. Like you said though its all about if he is healthy enough. Im sure he is doing everything he can to try to get there so just have to wait and see how it goes. I will always be a big fan of his. He is amazing at what he does and will wuck if he can’t come back but his health has to come first.

72. By Kayla on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

that was supposed to say suck if he cant come back. As far as people saying we shouldn’t have let Caldwell go, I totally agree. He’s a great person but I don’t think he is head coach material. He made many mistakes. If people paid attention they would know this. His time management for one was a big one if you ask me. I just want them to get someone who can take the team all the way and I think thats what they are trying to do. People also have to realize its a business and if your not getting the job done this is what happens. Its just part of football and any job really. I know they didn’t have Manning but they were capable of winning more games this year.

73. By Bruce on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

I believe Mr. Irsay did the right thing by firing Caldwell. I can understand the offense can’t score because Peyton Manning didn’t play, but there is NO excuse for the defense allowing the opposing teams to average 30+ points against us. It’s embarrassing…
    The next right move is to KEEP Peyton Manning. I can’t imagine any team would let a QB of Peyton Manning caliber go. Peyton is the best thing that ever happen to the Colts. I have been an NFL fan since I was 7 and never seen a QB control a team at the line of scrimmage like Peyton. There are lots of great QB, but not like Peyton. Great QB are mostly credited for their accuracy which lead them to have high QB rating. Peyton not only has that talent but also is very smart. He can read the defense like no QB can. Any defensive players whom played against Peyton would say that he keeps them on their toes and are exhausted by half time with his no huddle offense. Not only he can execute and knows all the plays in the playbook, he knows when to audible to confuse the defense.
    It would be a BIG mistake if the Colts let Peyton go if he is 100% healthy to play. Everyone talk about Andrew Luck. He has yet taken a snap in the NFL. College Football is not anything like the NFL. Let me remind everyone of Ryan Leaf. He was the big talk before the draft. They said he is better then Peyton. We all know now that Leaf is not worthy to play in the NFL. Let’s NOT gamble with Luck. Let’s NOT even think about trading or cut Peyton Manning. Keep him if he can play, hire him to be our next head coach if he decides to retire. He knows the game more then most head coaches in the league.

74. By chris wagner on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Irsay,
    You fire a coach that was here most of the time during all the winning seasons. That You picked to be Head coach. And now You have no idea who will run this team. At the rate Your going. 2-14 might look good next season.

Lets make this simple. From a Colts fan in N.J. Keep Peyton! I wasn’t really a big fan Of Caldwell. But would have made sure there was a coach to hire before I fire the one I have. A def. minded coach would be great. I would be beging Dungy to come out of retirement if I were You right now. And draft a good Strong safty. There has got to be another Bob Sanders out there somewhere.

75. By Kim on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

I wish for 2012 that the keep Manning and hire Tony back for the head coach…yes the colts had a bad season…it just goes to show that they need Manning to continue their wins. I will always be a Colt Fan no matter what, but I will follow Manning’s team where ever he goes.

PLEASE KEEP PEYTON MANNING AT THE COLTS – LUCAS OIL STADIUM AND WE WILL HAVE A BETTER YEAR FOR 2012….

1. 16 Trackback(s)

2. Jan 17, 2012: Colts give Jim Caldwell his walking papers – Pro Football Zone
  3. Jan 17, 2012: Colts Fire Jim Caldwell | FanFeedr News
  4. Jan 17, 2012: Indianapolis demite Caldwell após péssima temporada | ExtraTime
  5. Jan 17, 2012: Caldwell Fired as Colts House-Cleaning Continues - NYTimes.com
  6. Jan 17, 2012: Caldwell Fired as Colts House-Cleaning Continues | CATA NEWS
  7. Jan 17, 2012: The Fifth Down: Caldwell Fired as Colts House-Cleaning Continues | Sport News Times
  8. Jan 17, 2012: Indianapolis Colts fire Jim Caldwell | North Carolina Newswire
  9. Jan 17, 2012: Colts fire Caldwell
  10. Jan 17, 2012: Indianapolis Colts fire Jim Caldwell | Sports Newswire
  11. Jan 17, 2012: The Fifth Down: Caldwell Fired as Colts House-Cleaning Continues
  12. Jan 17, 2012: Indianapolis Colts fire Jim Caldwell | Arkansas Newswire
  13. Jan 17, 2012: Caldwell out as Colts’ coach after 2-14 Manning-less season – – BacklinkzHigh Quality Back linking Service
  14. Jan 17, 2012: Caldwell out as Colts’ coach after 2-14 Manning-less season | Sports, News, Entertainment, US Legislation
  15. Jan 19, 2012: Jim Caldwell Officially Released By Indianapolis Colts | South Bend IN DIRECTV Service
  16. Jan 20, 2012: Colts fire coach Jim Caldwell | Indianapolis IN DIRECTV Service
  17. May 20, 2012: NFL losses another Black Head Coach!!! | Foxy 107.1-104.3