Misguided Fans, in Their Effort to Save Peyton, Disrespects Andrew Luck

Posted by coltsindianapolis on February 8, 2012 – 8:44 am

Every week Colts.com features a blog written by one of our fans. This week’s blog was submitted by UndecidedFrog

A website is selling t-shirts that proudly states:

“Who needs Luck when we have Manning” in bold white lettering on a Colts-Blue background.

I was wondering if this is the message that Indianapolis Colts fans want to send to a highly-rated draft QB prospect that the team is considering as a candidate for their number 1 overall pick in the upcoming draft. How should Andrew Luck react to such a sentiment? Should he make himself available to be drafted by a team whose fans feel that he is not needed? Should he consider providing the Colts with an Eli-Manning-like statement similar to how one highly-rated Stanford QB once did? How could any of this be in the best interests of the Colts?

Maybe a better question to ask these Colts fans is: Why do you think that Peyton Manning’s nerve can be regenerated faster/better by disrespecting a draft prospect being considered by the Colts? If the Colts end up drafting Mr. Luck, is this the kind of welcome reception that the Colts fans would be proud to provide?

Peyton Manning’s nerve will or will not regenerate to the point where he can throw like the pre-injury Peyton Manning. Drafting Andrew Luck will have nothing to do with that.

I think it is time to stop the histrionics. We should recognize that our emotions are running away from us, and that cooler heads need to prevail. Otherwise the resultant damage may be incalculable. Shame on us.

Posted in Fan Feature

13 Responses to “Misguided Fans, in Their Effort to Save Peyton, Disrespects Andrew Luck”

1. By Rhonda on Feb 8, 2012 | Reply

why is everyone saying peyton done when we havent heard it from the front office I believ back in March Irsay said him self he wanted Peyton to retirer a Colt , If he healthy enough to play for another team then why not finish as a Colt Luck or Griffth could learn alot from Peyton and people just think that Luck going to give us right off the bat a season like Peyton would , I would rather the talk stop untill we hear it from the top . Whats the story going to be if Irsay keeps Peyton after everyone has him on the street, I think no one knows one self then you and if Peyton didnt think he was able to give a team 100 percent why would he make a joke out of him self like Farve did why not just hang up the towel.

2. By Marshall on Feb 8, 2012 | Reply

I believe that most loyal Colts fans would prefer to have both Luck and Manning. If we draft Luck and let Manning go we will be in the same situation as last year when we didn’t have a good back-up QB when Peyton was injured! Some so called Colts fans want to keep Luck and let Peyton Manning go to Free Agency. Even after everything he has done for this team and organization, and possibly still can do, these so called Colts fans have nothing good to say but constantly try to deride his good name and reputation with accusations of purposefully leaking information to the media with some agenda to overshadow Eli/Brady and the Super Bowl because of his supposed need to be the center of attention. Even though Manning has taken lower salaries, on more than one occasion, just too keep key players from being let go; these so called fans persist in unjustly saying he is greedy. The media has tried to paint Mr. Irsay, and Peyton in a bad light and these so called fans are biting hook, line and sinker! Is this the kind of message that Indianapolis Colts fans want to send to our #1 draft pick and 4 time MVP and winner of our only Superbowl since the team moved to Indianapolis? How should Manning react to such sentiment? You wouldn’t have treated him this way when he was drafted why start now? I for one am a loyal Colts fan and it is nice to have a player that shows loyalty, honor, honesty and dignity! Peyton Manning has earned the loyalty, respect and love of Colts fans everywhere! Peyton is a Colt! Where is our loyalty? Shame on us!

3. By ryan on Feb 8, 2012 | Reply

Amen brother

4. By Tim Forsyth II on Feb 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree 100%. I was just posting on Twitter how all this has gotten out of hand. Fans want answers, and want them fast. However, when they receive answers they don’t like, they get mad about them. It’s a lose-lose situations for the Colts, as far as their fans go. Fans acting like this should be ashamed of themselves.

Now, I will say this: I do believe that Manning should be our QB, even after/if we draft Luck. However, don’t say “negative” things about Luck just because you want Manning. If we do draft Luck, the ideal situation would be for him to sit behind Manning for a couple years (providing we keep Manning) and treat it like the Favre-Rodgers scenario.

We could be thrown for a loop hole though and draft RGIII. Can’t wait for al this to happen, I’m getting anxious!!

5. By WeSoy on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

You’re right, UndecidedFrog. There is a way to show support for Peyton Manning. That way, however, doesn’t have anything to do with tearing someone else down. Good post, good thought, good blog.

6. By Chuck on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait till the colts release Peyton Manning!!! I hope my beloved Miami Dolphins get him. I hope Andrew Luck turns into Ryan Leaf for the colts. GO PHINS!!!!!

7. By Robert on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I think this is the biggest mistake this organization has made in a long time. While the Colts need a starter quality quarterback looking to the future, they shouldn’t be letting go of the star that has lead them to where they are now. Peyton Manning is a strategic quarterback who can make things happen whether he can throw the ball long or not. If you think Andrew Luck is being disrespected then maybe you should have watched the combine to see how horrible his accuracy was with no defenders. I don’t think it’s as much disrespect to Andrew Luck as it is to Irsay for making such a horrible decision. Next time maybe he’ll think with his head and not his wallet. I look forward to a less than .500 season. Good “Luck” Colts.

8. By willis miller on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Andrew Luck is the man now, we must move on, i’ve done been thru this, watching my hero johnny unitas go to the chargers, it was tear jerking to see my hero in a powder blue outfit with a lightning bolt on his helment, but we must be strong and stand behind Andrew, he’s polite well mannered, and a god studier of the game, his remark was, Peyton was his hero, and he tried to imulate him, what better news could you ask for besides hearing we’re keeping both, well we’re not! joe montana been there, farve been there,emmitt smith been there, so let’s start a new and make this young man feel welcomed! LIKE A TRUE COLT FAN! a CHRISTIAN COLT FAN!! thank you, for your loyalty! Will Miller jr.

9. By dan on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

lets move on.

10. By Tim on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Good luck Peyton! Jim and the Colts are dead to me,

11. By Vickie Cathey on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Irsay has a character flaw. He is “not a man of his word.” He promised! He never kept that promise to Peyton or to us, the fans.

I love the Colts. But,”I REALLY LOVE PEYTON MANNING MORE.” I will support Peyton wherever he goes. I will proudly wear his new jersey.

I wanted to watch the “Peyton Manning Era”
    played out in Lucas Oil not in some other stadium.

12. By bill on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

tim,when they win you will be first to stand up and cheer…we all hurt by him leaving but he deserves a shot at winning and our colts aint doing that for 2 to 3 years.i believe he will be a colt again.just not on the field.hes a winner and will help the horseshoe again

13. By aleemyoung on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

we need Robert Griffin III to be on the colts!!!he better then Andrew luck!!!