Fans: Don’t Knock The World Off Its Hinges!

Posted by coltsindianapolis on March 12, 2012 – 11:19 am

Colts.com regularly features blog written by one of our fans. This week’s blog was submitted by WeSpy

As a kid, I read a lot of books and listed to audio versions of them as well. You hardly ever saw me without a book or a tape player. At night, the tape player went under my pillow—and played on. In the tub, the tape player went on the ledge—and played on. In the car on road trips, the tape went into the car player—and played on.

One of my favorite audio series’ was The Sugar Creek Gang, a series of books authored by Paul Hutchens in the early 40’s. Years later, Paul Ramseyer narrated the books onto cassette tapes. I listened to those tapes until they were just about worn completely out. I was also fortunate enough to be able to speak personally with Mr. Ramseyer by telephone as a young boy. I LOVED the series.

The main character was a boy named Bill Collins, and his mother is the character who gave me the inspiration for the topic for this week’s fan written blog. When Bill would be having a hard time and exclaiming about this thing or that thing that had frustrated him, Mrs. Collins would say, “Well for the land’s sake, Bill, don’t knock the world off its hinges!”

As I’ve scanned the forum and the web for the past little while since the release of future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning was announced, it seemed to me that a lot of fans are doing just what Bill’s mom warned against—They’re knocking the world off its hinges! In reality, the Indianapolis Colts have many bright days ahead, and while no one should ever forget just what Peyton Manning meant to this city, we must also look on the positive side of things and see that the famed trio of pessimism, gloom, and doom do no one any good.

With that in mind, here are 10 reasons not to ‘knock the world off its hinges’.

1. We Have The #1 Pick In The 2012 Draft
2. We have 4 Picks In The First Hundred Players
3. We Have The Best Quarterback Prospect Since Peyton/Elway Available To Us (According To Multiple Analysts)
4. We Have A Coaching Staff With Experience In The Playoffs In 36 Games (HC, OC, DC)
5. We Have A Coaching Staff With Experience in The Super Bowl in 4 Games (HC, OC, DC)
6. We Have 8 Players With Pro Bowl Experience
7. We Have 14 Players With Super Bowl Experience (As A Starter)
8. We Are Well Under The Salary Cap ($29.5 Million and $25.3 Have Been Put Forward*)
9. We Only Have Four Playoff Teams on the 2012 Schedule
10. We Have The Best 12th Man In Sports

So, Colts fans, the future is bright. The Colts are still a great team. And after reading these positive thoughts, please don’t be like the pessimist who smelled flowers and looked around for the casket…

Stick with your team, your players, your coaches, your Front Office, and your owner. And don’t knock the world off its hinges.

*$29.58—Colts—Minus Collins, Minus Manning, Minus Brackett, Plus Mathis
*$25.38—Colts—Minus Collins, Minus Manning, Minus Brackett, Plus Mathis, Plus Luck (At Minimum Rookie Salary)
*Please Keep In Mind That This Does Not Include The Players Presently Unsigned, Only Current Roster Players
*A Very Special Thanks To UndecidedFrog For His Assistance With The Salary Cap Numbers.

Posted in Fan Feature

20 Responses to “Fans: Don’t Knock The World Off Its Hinges!”

1. By Pam Howell on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

OMG YOu’vse got to be kidding. I’m done with the Colts forever. Wherever Peyton goes I have become a fan of that team. I do not approve of the treatment the Colts handed Peyton and I won’t support any business that acts that cruelly.

2. By Angel333 on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for your thoughts WeSpy. While I understand what the message is that you’re trying to spread…everyone has their own way of dealing!

3. By Christina on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Very well said WeSpy! Too many pessimists out there and this article was very enlightening to those of us that remain Colts fans through thick and thin. So what if Luck ends up a bust, we Colts fans have been through many busts in our franchise history. So what if players have been released, that’s all part of the sport. I’m very excited for this upcoming season and will remain supportive of my Colts!

4. By Larah's Mommy on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Well i can say one thing… I will always be a colts fan i do not agree with the decisions they made but i am a true fan… I will however still follow Peyton he is amazing and always will be in my eyes

5. By LuAnn on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I agree. I was rather sad when the announcement was made. I will miss Peyton greatly, but I will always remain a Colts fan. I’m grateful for what he’s contributed to Indy,and the entire NFL organization. I will continue to cheer him on,wherever he plays, and hope he succeeds, and maybe, just maybe, after his playing days are over, he returns to the Colts organization.

6. By David L West on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Well I agree I have been a Colts fan for over fifty year I HAVE SEEN THE GOOD AND BAD TIME HAVE CHANGE PLAYER WANT MORE MONEY AND THEY WANT TO BE ON BIG MONEY MARKET TEAM. DONT WORRY THE WILL BE BACK SO STAY ON THE SHIP.

7. By Bill ELlis on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I have been a fan since the championship game of 1958; I’ve seen the down times w/the Colts and the excellant times – this will be a long down time. I will do as I did in those times past; pick another team to root for; as I said earlier it was the SF 49ers in the Joe Montana era. Then when/if the colts rebound will probably be back rooting vigorously for them. Now it will probably be whomever picks up Peyton, or maybe brother Eli’s team.

8. By Alex on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

The best 12th man in sports is Peyton Manning fans…you’ll see how much you’ve lost when you’re wondering why it’s so quiet next season.

9. By Martha on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I will still be a Colts fan. Peyton did great things for the team and the city. There are times you do need to change. People need to remember that these men get paid in one year what most people will not see in a life time and the cap is to help keep things in control, but one man should not be what holds the whole team together as we have seen in the last year, that is why it is called a team. Peyton was great, but to go on we need a whole team. I will stay with the Colts they are my team, I might follow Peyton it will be intresting to see what happens to that team. You are right in what you have said. But the others are also right for people on the most do not like change, but change can also bring great things. I hope that alot of fans out there stay true for that is what has been great about having the Colts is to watch the fans.

10. By Janet on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I agree change is necesary at times, I don’t think everyone needed to go (coaches and players alike). Luck won’t be as good as Peyton until he proves it. Don’t expect the fans to be happy with the changes as the team we had was winning, something we enjoyed after all the losing seasons. so while you say we need to keep a positive side, we DID and still due. But remember when we built the Hoosier Dome and it took years for a winning season? Now me, you and everyone else in Indy is still paying again for a new field the Colts play on, seems ironic as soon as a new stadium goes up the winning numbers go down? Just make sure you don’t pay Luck over $28m that was due Peyton, otherwise I will be a new fan for Denver/Miami/Phoenix or wherever Peyton signs. I’ll cheer for the Blue but you better put up the numbers.

11. By kim on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

i love peyton and will always be a super fan of his. i will still be a colts fan but i don’t approve of peyton’s treatment after he has given so much..It truly is heartbreaking.. i am still undecided about who my #1 will be..

12. By Jim on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

We haven’t always had Peyton,and those guys. Remember the Kardiac Kids with Jimmy Harbaugh? There is hope.

13. By mesmart on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Reads like it was written by one of the Colts new staff. I’ll tell you the sad thing; when I was a kid Terry Bradshaw played for the Steelers, Roger Staubach played for the Cowboys, Elway was a Bronco, Buctus was a Bear…forever. I am not fed up with the Colts directly, I am fed up with pro sports and premadona athletes and owners. I am tired of hearing about fan loyalty. What about team or player loyalty back to the fans?

14. By COLTMAN1819 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

ONCE AN ERSAY…ALWAYS AN ERSAY…

15. By justin on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

we know whose the 0-16 team next year.

16. By justin on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

was a colts fan but with irsay there not anymore
    go manning

17. By Ricardo on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

I understand that nothing last forever.. but to make all these changes in the same moment… Don’t you think is too much?? I will follow Peyton’s cerrer wherever he landed and i’m really sad for what owner is making to the team makes fall for football!!!

18. By UndecidedFrog on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

For $28MM, you can pay for all 4 years of Luck, and have $5MM left over.

Well said, WeSpy, I am looking forward to the new Colts era with Luck.

Go Colts!

19. By mike on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

I think the same of manning as justin does.

20. By detroitlionsnfl on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Peyton Manning will always be an NFL legend. Sad it had to end this way.