Indianapolis Colts Football

COLTS PREPARE FOR BOTH SANCHEZ, TEBOW

Posted by Kevin Bowen on October 10, 2012 – 6:00 pm

The Colts head into their first road game in more than a month with a little uncertainty in terms of defensive preparation.

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will be the starter according to head coach Rex Ryan but backup Tim Tebow is expected to see action in specific packages.

Tebow played seven snaps in the Jets’ 22-17 loss to the Texans and has carried the ball 14 times this season.

“Timmy (Tebow) has played already and you don’t know how much is going to come. You never do,” Colts interim head coach/offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of defending the Jets two quarterbacks.

“If it’s successful you’re going to get a bunch of it, if you shut it down you go back to the other. So you have to be ready for Mark (Sanchez) and that passing game and the run game, and you also have to be ready for the wildcat.”

Colts defensive end Cory Redding knows game planning for two quarterbacks is something Indianapolis hasn’t dealt with this season.

“It’s a unique situation so you have to prepare for both quarterbacks,” Redding said. “Both posses different skill traits. We are going to have to prepare for everything, with focus and get ready for a football game.”

Sanchez has been the starter for each of the five games the Jets (2-3) have played this season. Against the Texans, Sanchez was 14-of-31 for 230 yards and threw for one touchdown and two interceptions.

The Jets offense was playing without it’s top two receivers and tight end Dustin Keller against the Texans.

With Tebow added to the Jets offense, Redding said the film study has shown him a team that is continuing to try and pound the ball on the ground.

“First and foremost, is they try to establish the run, to create the chance to throw the ball down the field,” Redding said. “A little sprinkle of (Tim) Tebow. That’s pretty much what we are expecting.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Colts Blog

CARTER IS READY TO CONTRIBUTE

Posted by Kevin Bowen on – 2:43 pm

With the news of running back Donald Brown being sidelined for a couple of weeks, the opportunity for chances in the backfield has caught the attention of Delone Carter.

The Colts second-year running back has been hampered by a rib injury in 2012 and saw his first action of the season last week against the Packers.

Carter did not record a carry on Sunday but he knows his chances of contributing to the run game will increase the next few weeks.

“I’m just waiting for an opportunity to step in and help my team out the best way I can,” Carter said.

“You have stay faithful, work hard and go out there and put your best foot forward so when the time comes, you’re ready.”

Last season, Carter saw ample playing time in his rookie campaign. He carried the ball 101 times for 377 yards and scored a pair of touchdowns.

Since suffering the rib injury in the Colts first preseason game in 2012, Carter has had to show his patience in rehabbing to get back on the field.

“It was definitely a tough situation to handle but you have to be professional about it,” Carter said. “You can’t have any hard feelings. You’ve got to go to work and you have to prepare to step in when you’re time is called.”

Carter’s number was called on Sunday afternoon. With the Colts facing a second-and-goal from the Packers three-yard line, Carter was at the top of the I-formation looking for his first carry of the season.

The play-action pass went incomplete but the Colts scored on the following play.

At 238 pounds, Carter knows he can bring an added element to the Colts power rushing attack and he is looking to regain the form of 2011 as his opportunities increase.

“It’s just another experience to grow from,” Carter said of his injury. “My preparation is different. I’m hungrier, not to say I wasn’t hungry before but I’m chopping at the bit to get out there and do well.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Colts Blog

COLTS WR-REGGIE WAYNE NAMED AFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Posted by coltsindianapolis on – 12:45 pm

The NFL today announced that Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for Week 5. This marks the first time Wayne has earned the award in his career.

Wayne totaled 13 receptions for a career-high 212 yards and scored the game-winning touchdown in the Colts’ 30-27 victory over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday. Down 27-22 with 4:30 remaining in the game, Wayne was instrumental in the Colts’ final drive, catching five passes for 64 yards and scoring the go-ahead touchdown with 35 seconds left.

The 212-yard performance moved Wayne (12,214) past former Colts running back Edgerrin James (12,065) for second place on the franchise’s all-time scrimmage yards list. The yardage total was the second-most for a single game in franchise history behind Raymond Berry’s 224 yards on Nov. 10, 1957 at Washington.

Wayne also moved up three spots on the NFL’s all-time receiving yardage list and surpassed Charlie Joiner (12,146) for 17th place. With his touchdown, Wayne (75) tied Larry Fitzgerald and James Lofton for 27th place on the league’s all-time receiving touchdowns list.

Wayne recorded his 40th 100-yard and second 200-yard receiving game of his career and became only the seventh NFL player since 1990 to record a 200-yard performance in his 10th season or later. Wayne’s 36 receptions for 506 yards are the most he’s ever had through the first four games of a season. He is also averaging an NFL-best 9.0 receptions and 126.5 receiving yards per game this season.

Wayne improved his streak of catching at least one pass to 100 consecutive games. The streak dates back to a Week 1 contest against the New York Giants on September 10, 2006.


Posted in Colts Blog