Indianapolis Colts Football

DEFENSIVE LINE READY FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF ‘NEXT MAN UP’

Posted by Kevin Bowen on November 29, 2012 – 3:23 pm

Throughout the first three months of the season, the Colts defense has had to deal with injuries in each respective position group.

Perhaps no position has been hit as hard as the outside of the defensive line.

Nose tackle Antonio ‘Mookie’ Johnson has been a mainstay in the middle of the 3-4 hybrid defense but the players flanking the nose position will be ever-changing the rest of the season.

Fili Moala and Drake Nevis were placed on injured reserve at different times this month, sending Ricardo Matthews into the starting lineup.

The loss of Moala and Nevis means more playing time for Clifton Geathers, who was signed by the Colts at the start of October when Moala was inactive for four weeks.

“It’s hard to see a player go down,” Geathers said. “Fili and Drake, they helped me out a lot but as football goes on I do look at this as another opportunity, another football game, another day to get better.”

Geathers and defensive end Lawrence Guy (signed on Oct. 17) will take on a greater role in the coming weeks as the Colts continue to plug in interchangeable parts along the defensive line.

“We’ve just done a good job around here of having guys pick up the baton,” outside linebacker Dwight Freeney said. “Really hats off to management on bringing the right guy in so that he can fit right in and it’s not really a big deal. Obviously, it’s a big deal because you don’t want to lose Fili, you don’t want to lose those guys but it’s football and unfortunately these things happen.”

Earlier this week, the Colts signed defensive tackle Kellen Heard and interim head coach Bruce Arians is anxious to see the 6-foot-6-inches, 339-pound Heard in action.

After injuries with outside linebackers Robert Mathis and Freeney early in the season, the Colts defense was just starting to get completely healthy in the front seven before the losses of Moala and Nevis.

“When I look out there right now, the core guys are there,” interim head coach Bruce Arians said.
“We’re going to miss Fili (Moala), but we didn’t have him for three weeks, we know how to play without him, it’s not the first time. So plug in the guys that we have and never use it as a crutch or an excuse.”

 

 


Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Colts Blog


One Response to “DEFENSIVE LINE READY FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF ‘NEXT MAN UP’”

  1. By ray on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

    In the long run playing the new guys going to build depth, its going makes us a more complete team when everyone is back at 100% Chuck strong all the way!

Post a Comment

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 75 other followers

%d bloggers like this: