Indianapolis Colts

Free Agency So Far…

Posted by coltsindianapolis on March 15, 2013 – 6:39 am

After an eyebrow raising season in 2012, the Colts were faced with a lot of adversities and holes in the roster. The colts defense was ranked 26th in the league in Total yards, and 21st in points allowed. The revamp of the defense was necessary. Along with an ailing defense, the future face of the franchise, Andrew Luck was sacked close to 40 times. And I’m not going to say how many times he was hurried, hit, knocked down etc. because those numbers are too horrific to say or write.

So there needs to be improvements on the O-Line. Ryan Grigson was faced with challenges last year with a 2-14 team. But now he has a promising team whose potential is sky high. And to keep it that way he needs to fill in the holes on the roster. Grigson has done a great job addressing the problems. He has signed a quality RT in Gosder Cherilus, and a versatile guard in Donald Thomas. The voids he has filled in for the defense has left me speechless. he signed LaRon Landry, an extrodinary talent at the safety position. He signed Erik Walden to replace Dwight Freeney. He added strength and teeth to the D-Line by adding Ricky Jean-Francois. and he has added depth to the secondary by signing Greg Toler. Grigson has not only addressed the problems with the roster, but he took the stress off of getting someone in the draft. Grigson has outdone himself again! The sky is the limit in Indianapolis.

I hope you guys Enjoyed this segment, feel free to comment and express your opinion!
and always colts fans…

Stay Blue and GO COLTS!!!!!!

Colts.com regularly features blogs written by one of our fans. This week’s blog was submitted by coltsfan05

Posted in Fan Feature

13 Responses to “Free Agency So Far…”

1. By William Harmon on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I’m loving Grigson and the Colts improving on all areas that were needed. In my opinion they still could use more depth and size in the secondary. It seems the bigger receivers (A. Johnson, K. Britt, J.Blackmon) have been problems for the current Colts. I would love to see them go after players like Brent Grimes or Tracy Porter or possibly find help in the draft.

2. By Dyron McMillan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

can we get some wide outs like darius heyward bey

3. By coltsunderground on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Great article! I believe in Grigson and everything that he has done so far. Like you said, he has addressed every issue that we faced, and more! As far as the above comment about getting a WR…WHY?!? We have so many young guys that are learning from #87, and all of those young guys proved last year that they can compete! Every “star” starts out having to prove themselves. Well, our rookies did just that. I think it’d be best to keep the WR’s that we have, and let Andrew Luck grow with them. I wouldn’t, however, mind drafting a WR. I just hate blowing big money on a WR that could be good. In this years’ draft I believe we need to address the following (in this order): LB, OL, DL, CB, WR. Great post and Go Colts!

4. By Dweezy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Im sorry but did u watch the playoff game against the Ravens? Their main target was Reggie Wayne because T.Y. and the others couldnt hang onto the ball. Bring someone else in who will take some pressure off of Reggie and throw T.Y in the slot.

5. By Larry D on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I am very excited with the possibilities of this team! With the new additions Ryan has brought in and returning some other healthy players we are ready for another great season. This will be a deep talented team, strong on both sides of the ball and special teams. I can’t wait to watch this team. looking forward to draft day !! GO COLTS

6. By devyn on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey.. pick up Elvis and call it a good free agent signing year..

7. By Mynor P. on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Although we picked up some good backup players I dont think we have made enough moves to contend for a championship. With all the salary cap space we had going into free agency coming out with landry and cherilus is sub par. Especially since we need to replace freeney and avery. By the way replacing freeney with walden is a joke in this article right. I hope that the management has some big plans for the draft this year.

8. By Jerry on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Fire Grigson and hire Mynor P., he knows better than a so called General Manager and Head Coach, his years in Pee Wee football are still talked about on playgrounds around Indy.

9. By 18to88 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Im excited and believe in what the reigning executive of the year has brought to this organization. We’re 1 full year from a complete rebuild after a 2-14 season, and we are disappointed that the free agent acquisitions aren’t enough to win us a championship?? We’re more than just a couple big names from winning the Super Bowl. Our team has a ton of potential, but lets not get too carried away with our expectations. With that being said, I think we can compete for the division crown this year. Love the post, and I’m excited for this season!

10. By Colts 1976 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

What about a back up QB for Luck? Harnish the last man picked in the 2012 draft is not the answer for a back up for a QB sacked over 40 times last year.

11. By darthrockabang on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

i agree with coltsunderground..thats the same reason why we cut marshall faulk. who knows where we would’ve been had we given him a big fat contract and not come upon the likes of wayne, clark, stokely, gonzales, sanders, etc…i like grigson’s moxy and i am VERY excited for the season. GO COLTS!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

12. By hasedizzle on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

The Colts have made some great moves in the free agency. Although I would have to agree that we need another WR and a physical CB that can man up on the big WR’s.

Also I wanted to BUMP Dyron McMillan’s post…

WR Darius Heyward Bey – Playmaker with potential.

Imagine Luck with Heyward Bey 6’2 lightning speed, Wayne, and TY in the slot

13. By Nick Moore on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

The free agent moves were good, but I do think everyone with the exception of Landry were given contracts that exceed their worth. However the Colts have addressed the issues from last year. I felt like our safety/corner issue could’ve been resolved in the draft. I think Trufant will be around when our pick comes in the first round and Shemarko Thomas is pretty much Bob Sanders reincarnated. Those two would’ve helped our secondary without the big price tag, and possibly left cap space to go get that big number 2 receiver to eventually replace Reggie Wayne. Now I feel that we MUST take a receiver in the first round because despite the owner’s tweets, the colts really cant afford to pay a free agent receiver especially at the premiums that they have been paying recently. The GM did a good job last year but that’s last year. “What have you done for me lately?” Last year’s success won’t excuse this season if these moves prove to be the wrong moves.