Indianapolis Colts

Last Thoughts On Dwight Freeney

Posted by coltsindianapolis on March 17, 2013 – 8:28 am

Colts.com regularly features blogs written by one of our fans. This week’s blog was submitted by coltsfan05

Since the Colts have cut Dwight Freeney, Colts fans have been in a particularly bad mood about this move. Everybody has been questioning this move and nobody likes this.

Well let me tell you one thing, do you want a man who only gives you 10 tackles and 5 sacks a season? I know I don’t. I’m not saying that Freeney is a horrible player, but lets be honest; he played god awful this year. He just doesn’t fit the system. If a player doesn’t fit the system, why in the world would you keep a player like that?

I’m not taking anything away from Freeney. He was the most explosive DEFENSIVE END, in football. Remember, I said DE. as a Defensive End in a 4-3, along with Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney was the most explosive player of his time. Dwight Freeney is used to putting his hands on the ground and doing one thing, and that is getting after the quarterback. And he was good at it. But you cant make a guy like that stand and cover the pass and play the run. And you certainly cant just keep the defense in a 4-3 because of him.

So what do you do? You have no other choice but to cut the man. Unless play DE in a 3-4 and gain an extra 30-40 lbs, and he did not want to do that. As of right now, anything beats how Dwight Freeney was playing. And Erik Walden is not the best LB in the NFL. But he is a Temporary replacement for him. He is not the long term solution by any means. but all I’m saying is that there wasn’t a legit reason to keep Dwight Freeney. He was getting old, slow and injury prone.

Tags:
Posted in Fan Feature

9 Responses to “Last Thoughts On Dwight Freeney”

1. By Rob on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Bottom line is with his salary and not fitting the 3-4 made this move inevitable. I think most educated colts fans saw this coming.

2. By Jay on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you aswell rob, No disrespect to the man, he was an integral part of the team for many years but he didn’t fit, not to mention the lack of interest he’s garnering now that he’s a free agent should also prove that point.

3. By Rob on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

I just thought it was more evident last year that he completely ignored his gap and just went all out blits on most plays. Either he was doin his own thing or that’s what they told him to do I have no idea. I’m thinking with Landry and other additions in the draft we should see a dominating D at times this season. I’m excited about it already! Go COLTS!

4. By Punk on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

People are upset about losing Freeney? I hadn’t heard that.

5. By Manning4Prez on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Yeah dude, who is complaining about Freeney leaving? Everyone knows what he meant to us but that it was time to move on. No one was upset with this move.

6. By Manning4Prez on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

This feels like a post for people who know nothing of football.

7. By Thegoodman on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Please please please stop saying Freeney was cut. He was not cut. He was simply allowed to play out his contract and was not offered any money to sign a new one. That is much different than being cut. This is like a TV show being cancelled versus going out with a finale.

“This feels like a post for people who know nothing of football.” And by a person who knows nothing about the off-season.

Freeney is a 4-3 DE and he didn’t fit well in the new 3-4. To top it off his play has declined in the past 2 years. No one is arguing that Freeney should be re-signed.

8. By Coltsfan05 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

To everyone who has commented on this post, i wrote this article. In my blog, i said Erik walden is a good pickup. People said that him trying to fill in for freeneys spot is a joke. What im trying to say is that Erik walden filling in for the shoes of Dwight Freeney is not that hard. Some people just don’t know what I mean when I say Erik walden is a good pick up. He is a good temp until we find the righ guy.

9. By Jae on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

I think there is one issue with this situation…Colts have moved to a 3-4, but don’t have the linebacking core to accomplish this.