INSTANT REACTION: DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY SIGNED BY COLTS

Posted by Kevin Bowen on April 1, 2013 – 10:01 pm

The anticipation of who would be joining the Colts wide receiver corps came to a close late Monday evening.

After tweets and names were thrown around for the last couple of weeks, the mystery has been solved on the new addition to an already dynamic group of wideouts.

Former first-round draft pick Darrius Heyward-Bey is the newest Colt and continues an offseason of additions for a Colts team coming off an 11-5 regular season.

How does this acquisition impact the Colts?

During the 2012 training camp, wide receiver Reggie Wayne called his fellow receiving corps the fastest that he has ever seen during his then 12 seasons in a Colts uniform.

That notion won’t be changing any time soon with the signing of Heyward-Bey.

With Heyward-Bey in the fold, his sub 4.3 40-yard dash speed should fill the role of departing receiver Donnie Avery.

Heyward-Bey provides Colts quarterback Andrew Luck another electric target that simply needs the ball in his hands to showcase the speed that earned him the No. 7 selection in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Besides Avery, the Colts return every other offensive contributor that gained at least 100 yards of offense last season.

At the receiver position, Wayne will once again lead the group. The Pro Bowl receiver is coming off an 106-catch, 1,355-yard season.

T.Y. Hilton finished second among all rookie receivers with 861 receiving yards despite not being selected until the 92nd pick of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Fellow rookie LaVon Brazill, who Wayne called perhaps the fastest of the bunch in 2012, showed flashes of big play potential in his first season.

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson has also mentioned 2012 undrafted free agent Griff Whalen as a player who could see his chances grow in 2013. Whalen spent his rookie season on injured reserve but the Stanford product is now reunited with college offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton.

All these weapons will be at Luck’s disposal in 2013, along with top two rookie tight ends in the NFL (Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener), giving the Colts one of the more versatile air attacks in the league.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “INSTANT REACTION: DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY SIGNED BY COLTS”

1. By Jim Maines on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Had season tickets since the van drove across Ohio. May need to keep them a few more years. Nice job Colts of uping the ante. GO COLTS!!!

2. By Yogi on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

It is great that the Colts have very strong wideouts but, they really need a good running back. Im not saying that Vick Ballard is bad, I love him, but we need someone that will put fear in the defense

3. By David Foreman on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I am pleased with the signing. I immediately punched my wife because I felt like jumping for joy! She will heal. GO COLTS!

4. By David Foreman on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I think we should have signed Marvin Harriso back. I probably would have kicked her if that happened! GO COLTS!

5. By clifton sanchez on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

These pieces are falling in nicely. I agree we need a running back beast, but barring injuries I think we have a nice balance of speed & power in brown, ballard and the recent FB trade from philly. I say we go BAA at #24 and the remaining picks be LB, OL, CB, RB & a respectable road grader!
    I also think Josh Chapman will be the real deal when he is 100%…Go Colts!

6. By j.v allee on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

i feel ballerd is a top notch back.
    watch him this year with this w.c. offense.it will depend on the oline to block and roadgrase.we have to be able to run the ball ahd things will really open up for a luck.

7. By crazyhorse on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

If you punched her in the eye, you have a problem. If you punched her in the shoulder/arm, youre a great Colts fan!

8. By Die-Hard Colts Fan on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

In response to David, Marvin Harrison is retired and I don’t think he would pull a Brett Favre. Also, don’t go hating on Vick Ballard, he has a chance to be a great running back in the NFL if the Colts run the ball more.

9. By sdg2323 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

All of the moves seem like good ones. I am excited for the Colts. I hope they are on TV more for Blue and White who live in Florida! Go Colts!

10. By sdg2323 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I am glad with all of the selections and signings. It seems like we have good people in key positions. Well done, team! Go Colts!

11. By Josh on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Can imagine Payton with all these weapons? Would have been amazing to watch him work with all the young talent! Oh what could have been.

12. By Josh on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I like surrounding luck with these weapons as well.

13. By Robb on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I honestly think we will take a step back this year, but I am confident that we will take 2 steps forward very soon. Colt fan my whole life, but I am realistic. Wild card would be a stretch but not unattainable. But AFC South….look out, we are coming back.

14. By Robbie on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@ Josh… No one seems to get the fact that if we kept Peyton Manning we could have never signed all of the players that we have.. Luck has a low rookie contract. Let`s sse what happens when his contract is up.. I am happy to have Luck… Manning threw a pick as usual in the playoffs… I bet Luck ends up with more rings than Manning. I love Manning but I am a Colts fan from before Manning and I will be a Colts fan long after.

15. By Dennis M. on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

To: Robbie on Apr 4, 2013
    Excellent way to explain the cost of business. I totally agree.

With all of these new signings now we still have room to close up gaps in defense.

I like the new changes. Super Bowl coming soon, plan on it.

16. By Bransen on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Nice pick up to fill in for Avery and Collie. What we need is a better offensive line, and our defense is already better than the one peyton had. Nothing but improvement from her on out. We arent a running team but could be if we wanted to.

17. By Bransen on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@ Robbie….you’re talking about a four time MVP, record holder one time super bowl MVP and champion. Playing agianst Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesburger in thier prime. Let’s see ifLuck can get the interception number down!

18. By Bransen on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Steelers prime defense and Pats air it out offense. A recipe for success!