The Colts and Indiana Pork have partnered in search of the best pork tailgate recipe in all of Colts Nation, and guess who is in charge of it? Yours truly! We’re going to be searching for the best pork tailgate recipes you have to offer. This week’s winner is Danny Madison from Indianapolis, and once you see his recipe for “Pork & Chorizo Chile Roja” you’ll see why. I really like this originality of this recipe and the overall “out of the box” approach for a tailgate dish. This is the perfect food to warm up your tailgate as we start to get into the colder weather and it becomes way more than just a soup once you add in all the “optional” garnishes.
Pork & Chorizo Chile Roja
• 2 lbs Spicy Pork Chorizo
• 2 lbs Ground Pork – Plain tube style breakfast sausage works fine – Spicy – NO SAGE FLAVORED
• 1 Large Onion, Chopped
• 1 TBSP Garlic, Crushed
• 1 lb Dried Chile Rojas
Rehydrated with boiling water – for at least 30 minutes
Once rehydrated, drain Chiles and reserve some of the liquid
Remove and discard the stems from Chiles. Puree the Chiles in a blender with a little of the
reserved water from rehydrating. You want it to be the consistency of a can of crushed tomatoes.
Then add the Lime, Chipotle and Mexican Oregano below, and puree all together.
• Juice of 2 Limes
• 1 small can Chipotle in Adobo
• 1 TBSP Mexican Oregano
• 2 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate
• 32 ounces Crushed Tomatoes
• 32 ounces Tomato Juice
• 16 ounces Black Beans or Pinto Beans
• 2 ounces Sugar
• 1 bunch of Chopped Cilantro
• Salt and Pepper to your taste
For Garnish – Optional
• Crumbled Queso Fresco
• Shredded Cabbage
• Chopped Cilantro
• Fine Diced Onions
• Lime Wedges
1. In a heavy bottomed stock pot, combine Chorizo and Ground Pork. Cook until almost completely cooked then add
the Chopped Onions and Garlic. Continue to cook until the Onions and Garlic are translucent.
2. Add the Pureed Chile Rojas mixture from above and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the Unsweetened Chocolate and Stir until melted – 5 minutes
4. Then add the Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Beans and Sugar
5. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes
6. Add Chopped Cilantro
7. Season to your taste with Salt and Pepper
8. Top with optional garnish items, if you desire – I add them all.
Danny will receive a prize pack consisting of a $75 Meijer gift certificate, Bacon Nation Cook Book, Indiana Pork Apron, Colts hat, Colts yearbook and Colts 2012 Season DVD. PLUS he will be entered into the grand prize which is the Traeger Lil’ Pig Grill.
Think your recipe has what it takes? Enter it here.
Posted in Colts Casey B