T.Y. Hilton takes Reggie Wayne’s halftime message to heart

Posted by Kevin Bowen on November 4, 2013 – 1:55 pm

As T.Y. Hilton walked into the Colts locker room at halftime on Sunday night, his “big brother” wanted to have a few words with him.

Hilton had one catch for six yards in the first half and a third-down drop was eating at the second-year receiver.  temp2013_1103_HOU_3922--nfl_mezz_1280_1024

Reggie Wayne pulled the young receiver aside for a message.

“(Wayne) looked me in the eyes and told me, “You owe me one, man. Just go out there and do what you do best, just go out there and have fun,” Hilton said on Monday recalling the story.

Hilton’s definition of “fun” turned out to be six catches for 115 yards and a career-high three touchdowns.

When Wayne went down, the popular consensus was that his production would not come from one particular individual but rather a group of receivers.

Yet, on Sunday night there was Hilton carving up the Texans secondary in helping the Colts erase a three-score deficit.

As the final gun sounded and Hilton jogged off the Reliant Stadium field on Sunday night, he knew who was waiting for him when he entered the visiting locker room.

“After the game (Wayne) said, “Now that’s what I’m talking about. That’s what I’m talking about.” We just kind of took that moment in,” Hilton said of their locker room interaction.

The attention towards Hilton will only grow in the coming weeks as his ability to change the game with a single touch must be accounted for by opposing defenses.

For one night it might not have been a “committee” that replaced No. 87, but Hilton did his best to carry out Wayne’s halftime wish.

“I got a lot of faith and a lot of trust in those guys to make the plays. Griff (Whalen) had a big catch on third down and (Coby) Fleener made a great catch on the two-point conversion. So I feel like we’ll continue to step up and continue to play as a group and we should be good.”

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “T.Y. Hilton takes Reggie Wayne’s halftime message to heart”

1. By Tom Edens on Nov 4, 2013 | Reply

I see a lot of arm chair coaches out there saying a lot of things good and bad about this team. Well this is our team.A lot of our guys have gone down to injury and what we have left is our team. This team are the ones we will have to finish with this year. And next year some will get weeded out,but this is our team.A lot of you guys enjoy bulling some on this team. If you are that smart, why are you not walking the sidelines at Lucas. If you don’t like them,dont watch them do your thing somewhere else. Lets get behind this groupe of players show them we got their back.

2. By Pete Freeman on Nov 4, 2013 | Reply

I don’t care what anyone else says, we have a good team, with a lot of talent. We have a leader on both sides of the ball, and our guys step up when asked. It was sad to see Reggie go down and leave the field, but his leadership, whether on the field, or off, is undeniable. We have a solid team, we have what we need to continue this incredible success that has been created. Keep it up guys, I will always bleed Colts Blue.

3. By Austin swangim on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

We have a solid team on offense and defense we just need to step up our game and protect luck if we give him enough time he can and will deliver I see this team as a playoff and maybe a Super Bowl team if you don’t like us then stand by and watch luck do his thing

4. By David West on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

Stay strong and next man up that what make the colts a great team.

5. By Bob Goad on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

Hey guys — let’s get a grip here! We have taken on SF, Seattle, Denver and Houston, and the last time I looked at our record, it’s 4-0 against those teams. Yes, we laid an egg against SD, but the truth is, OUR GUYS NEVER QUIT!!! The fish stinks from the head down, and leadership is contagious. Andrew has shown that once again, playing with a chip on your shoulder is a good thing. The pundits want to talk about RG 3, but he can’t hold a candle to our guy! Come on Colts Nation, let’s get behind these guys and kick some major *^#*+ in the second half and make a run for the money come January/February. Gooooooooo BIG BLUE!!!!!!!

6. By Tony DeMartino on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

It’s to the point where I almost feel bad for the other team if they have a lead going into the 4th quarter. Luck has done this so many times you almost have to wonder “They know Luck is going to beat them, right?”. What Luck has done in his first 2 years cannot be understated and cannot be compared to anyone in their first 2 years in the league. Our team is dangerous this year. No one gives them credit when they have to play one of the supposed “AFC powers”. That’s fine. Keep downplaying this team and we’ll keep watching sportscenter on Monday while all of the NFL “experts” try to figure out what just happened. Go horse!

7. By Renee Walters on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

There is nothing like words of encouragement!Reggie we support you and your team. I am one of your LA cousins on the Wayne side my mother was named Piccola Wayne and Sandy Wayne was my grandfather. May God Bless you and I hope you have a Speedy recovery. Hugs to all.Keep encouraging your team!

8. By soccer news on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Awesome post.

9. By social media company on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having thjis issue or is it
    a issue on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

10. By freds garden furniture on Nov 23, 2015 | Reply

I am in fact delighted to read this webpage posts which carries tons of helpful information, thanks for providing these
    information.